Transplant Tales: to China and back

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I know we did.
Let me tell you I have a lot to be thankful for, I'm still here!!!

I have been getting a lot of comments from people asking how to help someone do what I did, and that's fine, If you need specific information please contact me at Eric_g_deleon@sbcglobal.net There is a underscore after the c in Eric and after the g initial.
You can leave your e-mail address there and I alone will get it. It will not be posted on the blog, so try to get me that way I will be happy to help any way I can.

Well I'll be honest with you the chemo is difficult, I got the first 2 injections of chemo and no problem, but the 3rd injection within 1 week I was hurting bad, It's bad stuff. (I was getting these injections every 3 weeks.) So there the Dr. Is going to reduce the amount of chemo so I can keep working, still got to pay bills, (dose it ever end?) .

Well I left a comment for Kev and Kate who are in China now waiting for a transplant, our prayers are with them. You can find them at www.NewLiverforKevin.blogspot.com.

I had an interview with Forbes recently re: fraud in this area ( organ fraud) which is out there , I was unaware of most of this when I went to China, we did get a little skeptical when we were on the web. At that time, but we saw nothing in China to indicate foul play, I was in a university hospital quite large with all the modern equip we have here, they just don't waste money on stupid stuff like digital thermometers, fancy scales to weigh you, fancy offices and waiting rooms. They are very frugal with there money, one would think it was socialized medicine, but it is not.
During my stay, all of the liver transplant patients were of Asian descent except for one gentleman which was Middle eastern and myself.

So the claims by some stating "Rich Americans" are flooding the Chinese transplant hospitals seems a little foolish, and if there were so many going over there how come everyone is calling me to see how to do it?

So I guess I have bent your ears enough, keep writing us we love hearing from you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you. Yes, it's good to be alive! What is the name of the chemo that you're getting? Were you given any choices as far as the type of chemo?

11/29/2006 12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Eric and Lori,

This is Kevin's mom Connie. I have been meaning to write to you for several weeks. Linda keeps me informed on how you are doing and I must say we were both very worried when you failed to "blog" for a while. But all is well now, you are in contact again and I want you to know you are very much on my mind and in my prayers.
As for me, I am very disturbed about publications that continue to write about "rich Americans" willing to pay for organs no matter how they get them.

#1. We most certainly are not "rich Americans". We had to have fundraisers; Kevin raffled his 1971 Classic Chevrolet Corvette; we asked family and friends for donations; we had garage sales and silent auctions with donated prizes; and my beloved brother came up with a significant amount to cover the shortfall. We may still be short of funds but we are still receiving donations from time to time which are helping. Because Kevin has been in China a month already, the costs to have his sister Keri with him are substantial, but can you imagine not having a loved one with you in a foreign land for support? Sherry, Kevin's significant other and I will be traveling to China on the 17th in order to give Keri a break to be with her family over Christmas. We will return on January 5th and Keri will then go back to assure someone continues to be there. Rich Americans? Hardly! None of us are rich and our debts will be huge after this, but there is no way we would not do it again in hopes of saving Kevin's life.

#2. There is concern that the Chinese harvest executed prisoners organs to supply "rich foreigners" with transplants. If that is the case, then why after one month, is Kevin still waiting for a critically needed liver? I suspect there was a time these allegations may have had merit, perhaps even been true, but trust me, I do not see that this is the case and the Chinese Government is doing much to regulate alleged improprieties. I wish the media would spend more time investigating why it is so difficult to get organ transplants in our own country when foreign countries are routinely taking patients who no longer qualify for transplant because they have had to wait so long they surpass the criteria established here in the U.S.

Other countries are accepting these terminally ill patients and giving them life again. And probably most are not rich, but they want to live, for their families. You for instance Eric, you have small children and they deserve to have their dad to help them grow up.

I did not mean to make this a dissertation on how I feel about this subject Eric, I started out just to wish you continued health and it appears I went off on a tangent. Yes, I would very much like to meet with you and Lori and anyone else who has an interest in this subject so we may attempt to bring this to the public by presenting the victims point of view. Enough said, I am praying for you as are my family and friends. Thank you so much for keeping Kevin's plight on your blog. Much love to you Eric, Lori, and family. God bless you and have a Blessed Christmas. Love, Light, and Peace to you and yours.
Connie Carpenter

12/03/2006 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home