Transplant Tales: to China and back

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

It's now 3:00 am, Thursday morning. Eric was moved from the operation floor to the ICU around 2:00 am. The surgeon said that the surgery went well and there were no complications. They wheeled him past us, and I could not bring myself to take a picture. Eric was still unconscious with a breathing tube down his throat. Not an image worthy of sharing.

The surgery lasted a total of about 5 hours. Tony shared with us that they were doing 4 liver transplants tonight and 8 kidney transplants. Eric of course was the last one to be brought to ICU. One of the surgeons inquired on if we wanted to see the liver they removed from Eric. I told him yes. We went down the surgery floor and the surgeon brought a large bowl with a huge roast. Really, Eric's liver was huge. The doctor said his liver was twice the size of a normal liver. This size was due to the Hep C and the cancer. The average liver weighs around 3 pounds Eric's was all of 6 pounds. The size had to be what made up most of his belly.

Tony and his friend Ben stayed with Tiffany an I at the hospital while we waited for Eric to come out of surgery. Tony has made this a fantastic experience. He has succeeded in minimizing our stress and anxiety.

Tomorrow, Tony is going to pick us up at 11:00 am, and take us over to the hospital. He has arranged for us to see Eric. So I am going to try and get some sleep. It has been a very long day, emotionally draining.


Blogger jennie said...

Wow Lori I am so happy for you and Eric you are in my prayers.


3/15/2006 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord everything went ok. Our prayers are with Eric for a speedy recovery. When he wakes up tell him hi from all of us.


3/15/2006 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lori and dad its me desi, im so happy the surgery went well i told everyone.. i took the day off today it was alot for me ... tiana mailed grandpa something.. i talked to theresa and the kids today..... im waiting for your call around 8pm, my dad is so strong I know where i get that from!! love you dad

desi and tiana

3/15/2006 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

I'm glad everything went well with the surgery! Now it's time for the recovery. Dad, that means you are going to have to relax and take it easy for awhile. Is that possible??? My dad sitting still, idle, Hummm. Lori...good luck with that.

Talk to you both soon.
P.S. Hey pajamas.

Cristina, Brian, Julia :)

3/15/2006 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at the liver after I had dinner - good thing! Joyce told me about your blog site & this is my 1st opportunity to read all the postings. Joyce & I talked about both of us coming over to China & we agreed that, with my limited palate, unless I could manage to find a KFC in Shanghai that I'd starve to death. So Joyce is pursuing a passport & has been given my blessings to make the trip. I am so happy that the surgery is over & was successful & can't wait for the two of you to return to the good old US of A! Chips

3/15/2006 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home